By Thomas N. Corns
- An full of life and provocative historical past of English literature from 1603-1690.
- Part of the key Blackwell background of English Literature series.
- Locates seventeenth-century English literature in its social and cultural contexts.
- Considers the actual stipulations of literary creation and consumption.
- Looks on the complicated political, non secular, cultural and social pressures on seventeenth-century writers.
- Features shut severe engagement with significant authors and texts
Thomas Corns is a tremendous overseas authority on Milton, the Caroline court docket, and the political literature of the English Civil conflict and the Interregnum.
Read Online or Download A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature experiences - Literature, grade: 1,0, collage of Cologne (Englisches Seminar), direction: Hauptseminar: The London degree sinse the Nineteen Nineties, language: English, summary: Die Hauptseminarsarbeit befasst sich mit dem Stück "Stuff occurs" von David Hare.
This ebook unites examine in philosophy and cognitive technological know-how with cultural historical past to think again reminiscence in early glossy spiritual practices. supplying an ecological method of reminiscence and culture, it argues that versions derived from prolonged brain and dispensed Cognition can bridge the space among person and social versions of reminiscence.
In uncovering the foundation of the designation 'University Wits', Bob Logan examines the features of the Wits and their effect at the process Elizabethan drama. For the 1st time, Christopher Marlowe is put within the context of the six college Wits, the place his attractiveness would be the such a lot renowned, and the influence of his collage schooling on his works is clarified.
This booklet investigates what it truly is that makes John Clare’s poetic imaginative and prescient so specified, and asks how we use Clare for modern ends. It explores a lot of the feedback that has seemed in accordance with his lifestyles and paintings, and asks challenging questions about the modes and motivations of critics and editors. Clare is more and more considered as having been an environmentalist lengthy prior to the be aware seemed; this publication investigates no matter if this ‘green’ rush to put him as a thorough proto-ecologist does any disservice to his advanced positions when it comes to social classification, paintings, agriculture, poverty and girls.
- A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context
- Dear Mr. Beckett - Letters from the Publisher: The Samuel Beckett File Correspondence, Interviews, Photos
- Locating the Queen's Men, 1583–1603: Material Practices and Conditions of Playing (Studies in Performance and Early Modern Drama)
- Conspiracy Theories in the United States and the Middle East: A Comparative Approach (linguae & litterae)
- The Grotesque in Contemporary Anglophone Drama
- Social Invisibility and Diasporas in Anglophone Literature and Culture: The Fractal Gaze
Additional resources for A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Seventeenth-Century English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Thomas N. Corns